Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

DIY dye

So I know I mentioned this after we painted, but our living room has recently been stiflingly beige. We definitely can't afford a new couch anytime in the immediate future so we thought about getting a new cover for the futon that we have, just to introduce a little bit of color. After making the trek to Target only to find that they only sold beige futon covers my next bet was just to dye the thing myself. Last night with some help from Keith I took on the challenge with surprisingly great results.

Here is the cover before it got dyed.

Here it is in this giant tupperware bin we conveniently own (Thanks Aunt Liz haha). This was definitely a labor intensive task; I had to stir the fabric in that bin constantly for at least 30 minutes. (I took a few breaks sshhhh) and yes, now the top of our broom stick is blue and my fingers still have a smurf-ish tinge to them haha

We chose blue.. why not, we haven't decorated anything else in the room so it doesn't really need to match anything. I really like the way the color came out, I wasn't sure what would happen with the beige base.

Keith found it ironic that I was wearing a shirt that was the same color as the futon cover. I obviously am a fan of dark blues haha. We don't have a lot of space in our little apartment, so this it the cover drying over the top of our shower. I really wish that our landlord hadn't gotten rid of our beautiful claw foot tub, because this would have been a MUCH easy process with that instead of me standing in the shower for half an hour trying to rinse this thing.

$3.00 bottle of Rit later and here is the finished product. I must say.. it is very difficult to put a futon cover on by yourself haha but I showed that thing who was boss. It is by no means perfect, there are some strange spots that I can't really explain but over all I'm very very pleased to have just a little bit more color in the room.

Theo already approves :)

And lastly, a SUPER HUGE AWESOME THANKS to Keith's wonderful mother Tami. She sent us a HUGE package this week filled with all kinds of goodies, including all our favorite Girl Scout cookies. Keith and I never have cash on us, so we didn't get to purchase many cookies this year, and now we need to savor every last one :) Thank you so much Tami, I'm going to be so spoiled on junk food now. Loveee it.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I've been thinking about attempting to dye some clothes of mine that I ruined in the wash but I've been afraid to try the Rit dye. This gives me some motivation! They're already ruined, so I guess I can't mess them up much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely recommend it. I've dyed shirts before and it is MUCH easier than something as large as what I just did. Plus, rit is pretty flexible, if you don't like the color you can always try again and make it darker... if you make it too dark they sell something that takes the dye out, and you can also mix colors to make your own hybrid.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing what you have to think!