Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Things that have inspired me this week:

Jaime Oliver's Food Revolution

If you haven't heard of this show yet, it is amazing. It comes on ABC Friday nights at 9pm. You can also catch it on hulu, or ABC's website whenever, where ever. This is something that everyone in the country needs to see. It is so incredible to realize that there are kid in this country that have no idea what a tomato is, or that french fries come from potatoes. I guess that it is hard for me to believe this coming from a mother who is a nutritionist and when I was young worked at a job where she had a desk full of fake food haha. There is something wrong with the food that we feed our children, and regardless of the decisions that we make for ourselves, raising a generation of children with nutritional habits that will kill them before they turn 40 is just insane. Plus, Jaime is adorable, has a British accent, and makes the yummiest looking food.


Food Inc.

I'm sure you have heard of this film by now, and I know that I personally avoided watching it because I was afraid it would make me hate all my favorite foods. It didn't quite do that, but it has opened up my mind to making better food decisions. One major point that I felt this film touched on was looking into where the foods we eat come from. I know that I definitely don't take the time to find out what is in my food and how far is travelled to get to me, and it was very enlightening to see how that affects the quality of the things we eat. I don't know exactly how this is going to affect our lives, but it has definitely planted a seed.

We watched this film today in my Art and Environment class, which may seem strange for an Art History course but we talked about it in an interesting context. Today we discussed how companies use packaging design to fool their consumers. On the package of butter that you just purchased, why was there such a nice looking pastoral scene, showing a farm maybe a barn with a tractor in front? The butter was most likely produced in a factory made from the milk of a cow breed specifically to make you that butter. It is strange to think about how as consumers we are constantly being manipulated, without much control.

OK.. my rant is over. Sorry for such a heavy load tonight, this is just what has been on my mind this week.

1 comment:

  1. Ever since I saw the first commercial about the Food Revolution I was really excited. I've been working on trying to make healthy dinners for Andrew and I every night and while I realize how important that is, I feel like sometimes he (and tons of other people in the world) don't think it matters that much. So I love that show for bringing this issue to the general public and making it really exciting and entertaining while they're at it.

    I haven't seen Food, INC. yet, but I'll probably get around to renting it soon. If you're looking for a movie that will scare you into never eating meat again I'd suggest seeing the documentary called Meat. I had to watch it in a documentary class I took and I actually walked out of the class. I guess that's what really opened my eyes to the world of organic meat and how important it is to know how that food is getting to you.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing what you have to think!