Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Blizzard of 2010


Oh hello 2-3 feet of snow, how nice to see you this evening.

Now that we've settled into our northern style winter living, snow hasn't become TOO much of a big deal. I got my initial snow ball making/this is so awesome! phase out of the way, and I've also moved past the ugh this is so cold and icy please go away phase. I figured that I would just go through a few of my pros and cons of snow fall:

Pros: Once it starts to snow, the whole city becomes this very serene and almost surreal place. Everything is quiet, muted and you can hear the snow falling. The lighting is very magical too, it seems just a little brighter than normal because of the street lights reflection off of the white, its something you would have to experience. I love it a lot. Also, whenever there is a snow storm predicted, the people here go NUTS!!! Seriously, there were lines at the gas stations, and people at the grocery stores in droves stocking up on bread milk and canned goods. Schools were cancelled today and it didn't even start to snow until after 8pm. These people don't mess around, even when there is an arsenal of plows and salt trucks that are already out haha its supposed to snow about an inch an hour over night, and the people next door have already shoveled their walkway twice tonight. One of my favorite things in the world is when people overreact about common weather occurrences.

Cons: Keith has about a 45 minute commute to work, which when it snows could easily turn into a 2 hour trip just one way. In general it is a pretty dangerous drive because one of the highways that he has to take doesn't get plowed as regularly as others and in a car with no heat and no 4 wheel drive its almost an impossible feat. Last time there was a huge snow storm he had to drive out to work and since we have no heat, our car actually formed a sheet of ice on the inside of the windshield that he had to scrap while driving. Ugh so that is no good, meaning we need to avoid those driving situations. That leaves me with my ultimate con of snowfall... Keith can't come home tonight :( He is staying with a friend from work that lives close to the mall he works at so that he doesn't have to make the trek home tonight and then back again at 8am. Its the practical and safe option but obviously leaves me home alone and sad. Boo snow!

Theo and I are lonely.

(I would also like to note that as I write this some drunken frat boys from across the street are standing in the middle of the road hardcore jamming out to a Hootie and the Blowfish song, including screaming and cheering as well as the one guy that is continuously shouting "TURN IT UP!". Theo is staring at them from the window in disgust haha)


In my loneliness I watched New York, I Love You on Netflix instant (counterpart to Paris, Je T'aime one of my all time favorites, also Netflix will soon be the demise of my graduate career) I really enjoyed the film, but I don't think it was the greatest choice for a night at home alone, it left me wishing that Keith's side of the bed wasn't going to be empty tonight. The part with the cute old people definitely made me tear up a bit :)



2 comments:

  1. The frat boys made me yell-laugh. TURN IT UP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really awesome, I was frantically trying to find someone to call since Keith didn't answer his phone. In the meantime they totally noticed me staring at them from the window and I got a little embarrassed. By the way.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! sorry that I'm belated :( Hope it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing what you have to think!