Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

The woes of snows

Before you read this, please note that both Keith and I are completely fine, just a little sick of trying to commute in winter weather. (but moms, you can feel free to call and check just in case haha)

So it's hardly any surprise at all that yes, it's snowing again! I think that universe just wanted to provide us with another fresh blanket of white stuff because the Winter Olympics are on and I needed that encouragement to test out ski jumping in my own front yard.

That being said both Keith and I had terrible commutes today :( I managed to walk to the train station, though the wind threatened to take me down, only to find out that the trains were running an hour behind "due to frozen switches" (I think that means the wire things over the train are frozen, gotta learn more train lingo) I needed to be at school at 9:30 for a meaningless lecture that should have been cancelled but regardless, I didn't want to be the only one (out of only 6 of us) that didn't make an effort to show up. So even after Keith encouraged me to just go home I walked over to the closest bus stop and hopped on to head in the direction of school. Shortly after I get on the bus the driver announces that the bus is going to be detoured because of snow and ice and that they wouldn't be going anywhere near school which was my whole purpose of being on it. In an effort not to get stuck in some scary part of town I quickly exited and decided that it was time to give up and just come back home. I had to wait on the side of the road with no side walk for about 15 minutes for the next bus going the other way but I did arrive back home safely. I understand that we've had an INCREDIBLE amount of snow storms this winter and that businesses, and in my case, schools, don't want to close, but sometimes it's just necessary.

On to Keith's story: this morning we thought maybe the mall would be opening later than usual to accommodate for the ridiculous weather but they were not. Keith headed out to work and I naturally assumed all was well when I hadn't heard from him. As I was waiting at the train platform trying to make a decision on what to do I get a call from him that of course doesn't go through. We play phone tag for awhile, then I finally get ahold of him, and the first thing he says is "take a deep breath, I'm at work and ok but..." great. While he was on the highway driving this morning he hit a patch of ice that sent the car into a ditch on the side of the road. He's fine and the car is fine because he was driving very slowly but it's just stuck there. Keith then hitched a ride to Wawa (7-11 type store that is WAYYY better) and then tried to find someone there that would give him a ride to the mall about a mile away. No one wanted to help so finally the manager of the store gave him a ride. If this were me? I would still be sitting in the car, probably crying haha He called a tow truck that is going to go and get the car later this afternoon and take it over to the Wawa for him to get after work. Fingers crossed nothing happens to it while it sits there though.

Snow is making me crazy! It is pretty, and looks nice. It covers up a lot of the trashy-looking parts of this city but overall it sends everyone into a frenzy and it is impossible to get around. I ready for the trains to run at a predictable time, and to not worry that Keith will make it to work alright. We are ready for a trip to Florida for sure.

In other news! Our precious little boy (yes we are obnoxious cat owners and treat our cat like he's our child haha) had his first vet appointment yesterday! He had to go and get his shots and get tested for leukemia. I was nervous because I couldn't go with him but he did just fine and made Keith and I very proud. Apparently he was not a fan of getting blood taken or having them check his temperature but the Dr. gave him some cheese wiz and he didn't even notice when she gave him his shots haha Also, now everyone in our family has health insurance including Theo which means in 3 weeks he's getting fixed. I'm secretly excited for that to happen so that he will calm down a little bit. I love my playful kitten but sometimes it's a little much and I would really love him to be sweet and cuddly all day haha


I couldn't help but add this photo of him as well. I couldn't find Theo the other day and when I walked into the living room he was on the couch burrito-ed up in my folded snuggie haha


Another piece of news is.... we painted the kitchen yesterday! It was a little bit of a hectic day with Theo's vet trip and me having to go to school but we managed to get the entire kitchen painted. There are still a few touch ups to be done and I need to put everything back up on the shelves but this means we're getting even closer to being finished with the whole apartment!

Here are a couple shots of what it looks like (I didn't take any shots of us actually painting, if you are interested though we look the same as we did while we painted the bathroom haha)


The walls are just a neutral beige color, and we did a chalkboard wall as an accent. We're both pretty excited about the chalk board wall and are already having fun with it haha everyone needs to come over and decorate it with us!!


Only two more rooms and we will have finally turned this place into a decent home :)


Here's a video of what it looks like outside.

2 comments:

  1. Joe says: If Meg gives you color suggestions, RUN!!!! (Do not pass Go, Do not collect $100)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I am SOOOO happy you are both ok. Rough day for certain. (You know - it is a full moon on Sunday - that explains a little....)

    P.P.S - LOVE LOVE the chalkboard wall. Save me a little patch to draw on whenever I finally get back up there!!!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing what you have to think!