Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Close to my Heart

Apparently I have a new found love for baking anything and everything, but when it comes to the holidays, there were a few things that my mother ALWAYS made that I'm now trying to replicate in our own home. First being apple pie, second being her super thin Christmas sugar cookies and lastly these little heavenly things that I like to call, Krispie Oatmeal cookies. I don't know where the recipe came from but it's been scribbled on a little card in her recipe box for years and they are a definite family favorite. Since I have lots and lots of baking and food prepping to do today I decided to bust these out last night after we got home from dinner and even my coconut hatin husband couldn't put them down :)



They include oats, rice krispie's cereal and coconut and they're crunchy and delicious and even though I was nervous because I had never made them before... they came out just like I remembered them. It might sound weird, but you just have to try them once and you'll be converted. Anyone want to try and make them too? I'd be glad to share the recipe, just comment or email me!

Another special thing that is close to my heart this afternoon is a belated wedding gift that I received from my Aunt Liz this morning. Ever since I was a kid I've seen the beautiful quilts that my Aunt Janice has made and wanted one of my own. My mom and all of her brothers and sisters have one that she made them when they were younger and I adopted my mothers for myself (it matched the colors in my room... duh!) I still have it today since it kind of became mine over the years. There is just something about a homemade quilt with all its love that you just can't beat. Well guess what I found when I opened up the box from Liz this morning? I beautiful handmade quilt from my Aunt Janice just for Keith and I! The fabrics are so incredible, and these pictures really do it no justice. It's got such a neat and unexpected pattern. What an awesome wedding present! I'm so excited to have a quilt of our own that we can keep forever, and that I can pass on to my own kids some day. My family is really really awesome :)



2 comments:

  1. My aunt made my cousin Nick and his wife a quilt for their wedding present, and Kiersten and Eric got a quilt also as a wedding present. Quilts must be the norm for wedding presents! Everyone has someone crafty in their family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about it being a normal wedding gift, that's so sweet though! I'm kind of crafty, but not crafty enough to make a quilt... hopefully someone else in my family will step up to fill those shoes haha

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing what you have to think!