Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

To My Dad:

Thank you for all the things you've taught me through the years. For all of the interests you've encouraged and all the values you've instilled. I know I wouldn't be the same today without you and mom, and I thank you for the excellent example of family that you've left for Keith and I. You really are one in a million :)

Here are some of my favorite things that I've learned from my dad through the years:

  • The benefit of waiting in the driveway to finish the end of a really great song before you get out of    the car. 

  • That the middle of the afternoon when mom is at work is the PERFECT time to dance around the living room, and you should probably video tape it too. 

  • To never give up on listening to new music, and researching new bands. 

  • That there really is a difference between good and bad wine. 

  • Eat less, exercise more. Or did I just give away the concept for your book?

  • To always jot down memories in a journal (or blog, ha) and to keep photos in albums, they're the best to look at years down the road. 

  • Taking naps is essential, and you don't need an excuse to do so. 

  • That you don't always have to go to amusement parks on family vacations, you can make memories at art museums and vineyards too... your kids just might not appreciate them until they're older haha.

I could go on forever, but those are just some things off the top of my head. Although Keith and I still aren't ready to start having kiddos, something that makes me beyond excited is thinking about what an awesome grandfather my dad is going to be. One time my dad told me that when he was my age he didn't care much at all to hang out with his parents, but it's so true that he and my mom are two of Keith and I's favorite people to be around. Despite how much I love Nashville and can't see us anywhere else, I think my biggest hesitance in buying a house here is the permanence of never living near my parents again. I miss them a lot, and miss being able to go over and see them anytime. I think most of my friends can attest to this: they're pretty awesome people, and I had one of the great childhoods because of them and now I can't wait for my own children to get to experience them as grandparents.

So here's to you dad, thank you for everything you've done for me, and for Jake and now for Keith. You're the best dad around, and I'm so thankful that you're mine!



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing what you have to think!