Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Mmmm **UPDATE**

I know this is a little bit of an overkill on the baked goods, but my new favorite way to warm up our chilly kitchen is to turn on the oven and make something yummy. This recipe is too good not to share with the world! If you like banana bread, you must make this!




Banana Bread

Juice of one lemon
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 stick of butter
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Mash bananas and mix them with lemon juice until they are smooth
Cream butter and sugar together and add the banana mix, stirring well
In a separate bowl stir together the dry ingredients, add to the banana mix
The dough will be very stiff. Turn it into a greased loaf pan and bake for 30 to 45 minutes

I mixed this up in like 5 minutes this afternoon and then very impatiently drooled over the amazing smell it emitted into my home. This is the first recipe that I ever learned to bake on my own, after years of helping my mother, so it holds a very special place in my heart. I'm not sure of the source of the original recipe, if you're interested I have ask my mom to check for me. Its from an old cookbooks she's had since I've been alive and it's always easy to find the recipe in the book because its the page that's covered in various dropping of banana most likely due to her having a couple overeager young helpers back in the day :) She used to make this recipe all the time when I lived at home and it's always a fight for who gets the last piece. She will make them in mini loaf pans too, which made a great end of the year gift for teachers. I can't thank my mother enough for teaching me all the basics of baking, and a love for freshly made goodies. Thankfully I copied down the recipes for all my favorite goodies before I moved away and I definitely plan on sharing them with my future children. 

Next week I may even attempt a pie!

EDIT:

After reading this post, I got this photo in an email from my parents


The cookbook is Laurel's Kitchen, and I wasn't lying when I said that page had been broken in haha Must be the sign of a great recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing what you have to think!