Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Urban Land Scout

This past week instead of working my regular job I volunteered for a camp at Mobile Loaves & Fishes that my students were attending. They provide food in the community I work in weekly, and I was SO EXCITED to get to hang with friends, see my students and get a chance to learn some new things. It was such a nice, relaxed week compared to the chaos of the summer camp we had at Martha O'Bryan and I was very thankful for all the great food I got to eat. The program that we did was called Urban Land Scouts which promotes being good stewards of the land, learning to grow native and edible plants and generally caring more for the land in their community.

Here are some photos from the week:
The amazingly tall sunflowers in the MLF garden.

Learning how to harvest okra.

Enjoying said okra...

James picking cherry tomatoes.

Our harvest.

Making our field books to record our land observations (more on this later!)

DELICIOUS watermelon that we later made popsicles with.

David with his freshly picked cucumbers.

Learning about bees and checking out their honey.

Everyday the kids made fresh food for lunch.

We also made seed balls to spread in urban areas.

After a team work exercise we used the stick to play some limbo haha.

We planted some seeds to take home.

and planted peas in the garden.

We played LOTS of this gamed called wah.

and then Portia drew a portrait of me :)
I think the only thing that would have made this week better is if it wasn't 100 degrees out everyday! We ended up having to move a lot of our activities inside because it was just TOO hot to be out for more than an hour at a time. Next I'll share some pages out of my Urban Land Scout field book... I did some sketching for the first time in a LONG time, and I'm very pleased with the results!

1 comment:

We love hearing what you have to think!